What are the British Business Awards?
Established in 2008, the biennial British Business Awards have grown to become a prestigious feature of the business calendar, recognising and promoting excellence in innovation, enterprise and endeavour in the British and Chinese business communities.
The British Business Awards 2022, hosted by the British Chamber of Commerce in China, consist of nine award categories, highlighting organisations and individuals from a variety of disciplines who are achieving outstanding results and who demonstrate commitment to trade and investment in China. The Awards also recognise the accomplishments of Chinese businesses operating in the UK.
The Awards are a national initiative organised by the British Chamber of Commerce in China, Shanghai, Guangdong and Southwest, supported by the Department for International Trade (DIT), Confederation of British Industry (CBI), China Chamber of Commerce in the UK, Scottish Development International and Invest Northern Ireland.
What are the award categories?
There are eight award categories.
- Innovation Award
- Sustainability Award
- Education Partnership Award
- Entrepreneur of the Year Award
- Chinese Investor in the UK Award
- British Company of the Year Award
- Diversity and Inclusion Award
- 50 Years of UK-China Excellence Award
- The British Company of the Year Award also includes a Small Company of the Year Award – two companies will be awarded.
Who can enter the Awards?
To enter the British Business Awards, you have to be:
- A company or organisation operating in China that the general public and/or business community would perceive as being “British”
- To enter the Chinese Investor of the Year Award, you have to be a Chinese company headquartered in mainland China with a presence in the UK.
- To enter the Entrepreneur of the Year Award, you can be either a British national, or Chinese national who has studied in the UK.
- To enter the Education Partnership Award, you must be a UK higher or further education institution that is listed on the UKVI Register of Licensed Sponsors (Tier 4). Partnerships must have started no earlier than 2017. Nominations must be endorsed by a Vice-Chancellor or College.
If you have any questions as to the eligibility of your company, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I enter the Awards?
The British Business Awards will accept online entries only. You may apply online as soon as entries open on 31 March 2022.
Once applications are open, click on the Enter the Awards button on our website, select the categories you wish to enter and complete the online application form.
The closing date for submissions is 1 July 2022 at 18:00 China time.
Can I enter more than one Award Category?
Yes, you can enter as many Award Categories as you like.
Can I enter more than one project, product or service for the same Award Category?
Yes, if you have multiple initiatives that you believe are applicable then you can submit these in separate applications.
Our organisation entered the Awards in a previous year - can we enter again?
Yes, there is no limitation on the number of years in which an individual or organisation is entered for an award.
What is the selection process?
After entries close, entries will be reviewed by a separate judging panel in each of the award categories, who will select finalists of five entrants per category. The finalists will be announced in August 2022.
After this, a second round of judging will take place, independently audited by KPMG.
The winners will be revealed at the gala awards dinner in Beijing on 22 September 2022.
Who are the judges?
The judging panels are composed of prominent members of British and Chinese industry and government. There are five judges per award category, including a lead judge.
How will I know if my entry was submitted successfully?
You will receive an automated note generated by our online system.
How will I know if I have been chosen as a finalist?
Finalists for each award category will be contacted individually and announced on the British Business Awards website.
The organisers will only inform those organisations and individuals that have been selected to progress to the second judging stage. The entrant’s designated contact will be formally notified by email after the announcement.
When will the winners be announced?
The winners will be announced at the gala dinner awards ceremony, which will take place on 22 September 2022 in Beijing.
To ensure the integrity of the Awards, no details of any winners will be available to the public, including the media, before the gala dinner.
* The details in this document are correct at the time of going to press and subject to change.
* The judges’ decisions are final.
* The British Business Awards Committee reserves the right to alter the rules of the competition at any time.